Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Visit to the Pet Store.

Some time ago I spent a few years in law school.  I ended up dropping out without finishing that degree, and I didn't learn much jurisprudence, but my friends all later assured me that I had a pretty good time while I was at it.  One of these friends from those days often hosted me at his house before we headed off to the golf course in lieu of studying.  On one of these visits he introduced me to his cat; or at least he claimed it was a cat.  This feline was ancient in Biblical proportions, and had grown enormously fat and mangy presumably through many years of lounging leisurely on the back of my friend's couch.  I can't say that I recall ever seeing this cat move, so I am taking his word for it that it was an actual live cat.

One day as we returned from a round of drinks and a round of golf at the links, my friend impulsively pulled into a parking lot and announced that he wanted to go shopping in a pet store nearby.  Since the only other thing I had to do was to read some cases on torts and contracts, I naturally agreed to accompany him. 

The inside of the store was a virtual menagerie of various exotic animals.  One little brute that caught the fancy of my friend was a ferret.  Let me say here that I shun the company of ferrets ever since my senior year in college when one of my fraternity brothers assured me that his ferret would not bite, immediately before the bugger made him a liar by biting me on the hand.  My golfing buddy seemed enchanted by the antics of the ferret as it crawled about his shoulders.  Obviously he was considering buying this beast and taking it home; an unwise proposition in my opinion.

Then he said, "I would buy this ferret for a pet, but I'm afraid that my cat wouldn't leave it alone".

This last comment made me laugh out loud (and it still does today).  I replied to my friend, "your cat will mess with that ferret once, and then I promise you he will leave it alone!"

He didn't buy the ferret.

No comments:

Post a Comment